Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The party never stops when you're open all night, part 1

At least once a week, I try to make a trip out to the local grocery store for lunch. Not so much for the fine cuisine they serve up at obscene hours of the night/morning, but more for the sheer entertainment/weirdness factor. It reminds me of the fast food place near campus - I would go there and stomach the horrible food just to watch the festivities. Shit was better than TV.

We get our share of strangeness at the hotel, but we're fortunate to have locking doors and therefore are able to at least screen for potentially hazardous people. The grocery store, on the other hand, has its doors wide open all the time except for major holidays. This open invitation is taken all too willingly by some choice clientele.

After last night's excursion, I could no longer deny the need for bloggeration on the subject. When I get lunch from the grocery store, I try not to go too late. I'm all for having a fun time, but sometimes things just get too strange even for my tastes. I went out just before 2 am and that's a pretty decent time to go - it's too late for people to be getting beer but it's not too late for a horde of drunk people to be causing mischief within the store.

As soon as I walked in, I was reminded of why I make the weekly trip. I make my way down the first aisle that leads from the front of the store toward the vegetables and fruits, and there's a couple perusing a cold case. The woman was insignificant. The man on the other hand, was awesome. He wasn't physically deformed; sporting an extra appendage, missing an eye, wheelchair-bound, etc. Quite simply, he was chowing down on the snack of the moment - a box of saltine crackers. For serious.

When I go grocery shopping with the family, I usually end up snacking on something with my son. We've been known to crack open a bag of chips or get something from the hot case. I've never snacked on a box of saltines, though. And let me emphasize that he was holding the box. It's not like he brought in just a single sleeve of crackers because he was nursing a sour stomach. Dude was crushing an entire box like it was the most delicious meal on the face of the earth.




To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment